At Holland Public Schools we offer education programs that are Right for Me. However, it is just as important to us that we we support students' mental, physical and social/emotional health. We are Here for You!
Being a student is stressful, but trying to juggle school work and other responsibilities while experiencing mental illness can make it even harder. Approximately one in five youth aged 13–18 live with mental health conditions and approximately 75 percent of people with mental health issues develop them prior to the age of 24. Mental health conditions can feel debilitating and scary, making some learners retreat inward rather than seek help.
Do you need support? Please complete this form and a member of our support team will contact you.
CDC Child Development Basics:
The early years of a child’s life are very important for his or her health and development. Parents, health professionals, educators, and others can work together as partners to help children grow up to reach their full potential. Visit the CDC's Child Development Basics webpage.
If you find you or your student are in need of emergency Mental Health Services:
- Michigan Crisis Hotline: Dial 211
- Ottawa County Emergency Crisis Line: 616-396-4357
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline - If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available. Call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org
- Crisis Text line number is 741741 and text "Help".
- For immediate emergency dial 911.
Social Emotional Resources
When a child is struggling, the whole family is affected. At the Child Mind Institute we want to help you make good decisions for your kids and navigate the challenges of parenting. We explore the concerns and challenges we hear about most from parents and provide expert guidance on how to respond in the most effective way. And if you have a child who needs support, we offer resources that can help you get the best care for that child and the best outcome for your family.
Additional Parent Resources on Common Emotional Health Issues
Articles to Help with Mental Health
- CDC| Information on Anxiety and Depression in Children
- National Institute of Mental Health | Teen Depression
- University of Michigan | 10 Tips to Stay Mentally Healthy
- MentalHealth.gov | Mental Health and Substance Use
- American Psycological Ass. | Resilience Booster-Parent Tip Tool
- Michigan State Universty | Help young children identify and express emotions.
- Trails To Wellness | Sticking to a Schedule
Food Insecurity Resources
The fuel we use can make all the difference and directly affects the function of your brain and mood. Eating high-quality foods that contain vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants will nourish the brain in a positive way. Similarly, just like an expensive car, your brain can be damaged if you ingest anything other than premium fuel. A diet high in refined sugars can impair brain functions and worsen the mental health symptoms.
Other Local Food Resources:
American Pediatric Association | Child Abuse Prevention
Ed and Nancy Hanenburg Children's Advocacy Center | Local Children's Advocacy Center |
Resilience | Advocates for Ending Violence
- Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Advocacy, Counseling (Free), Case Management, Groups, Emergency Shelter, 24 Hour Emergency Hotline.
- Family Shelter, Men's Shelter, Biblical Counseling, Case Management.
- Housing, Emergency utility assistance, Circles.
Lighthouse Immigrant Advocates | Provides legal support, Education and Advocacy
- Afforable legal advocacy, Educational services and outreach.
Community Action House |End poverty in our community, and help families prosper
- Food Pantry, Clothing, Shelter, Case Management, Utility Assistance.
Department of Health and Human Services | State support for housing, Food, Cash and Health assistance programs
Community Mental Health | Medicaid based mental Health supports
- Mental Health Counseling, Substance use treatment, family/individual counseling.
Midtown Counseling Services | Is the home for Hope and Encouragement in the City of Holland
- Providing Free in school counseling services, tele-health, and in office counseling services.
Moasic Counseling | Connecting you to hope and healing
- Provides sliding scale counseling fees for any family income, works with all families eliminating all barriers to counseling.
Local Health Resources
- Medical Care
- Education and Counseling
- Suicide Prevention
- Substance Abuse
- Health Care Coverage
- Vision Services
- Medicine Disposal
- Hospital Bills
Ottawa Community Schools Network Coordinators
2023-2024 POWER H STORE DATES:
The Power H shop is a store that opens one night each month. It allows HPS families to come and shop for clothing, school supplies, and household items - FREE of charge! All the items are donated by area agencies and organization - and families just like yours! But, our inventory is running low!
- September 21
- October 19
- November 16
- December 21
- January 18
- February 15 (Give Back Event)
- March 21
- April 18
- May 16
At Maplewood (925 Central Ave, Holland, MI 49423) | 4:30-6pm
Summer EBT and Education Benefits
Need an additional $40 per child this summer for groceries? Find out how you can qualify!
David's Sparks of Joy - Christmas Tree Giveaway
For HPS Families in need of an artifical Christmas Tree, ornaments and lights, and stockings.
- Tuesday, December 5, 5-7pm at West Elementary
Thank you to the Woodard Family for this great event.
November Family/Parent Night
Wednesday, November 29, 5:30-6:30 at Jefferson Elementary | We will focus on how to support students at home with social emotional learning.
At this event there will also be:
- Free Dinner
- Raffle/Door Prizes
- Local Agencies, including Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, Arbor Circle, and Bethany Christian Services.
- PLUS - A visit from Santa Claus!
2023 School Nurse Fun Run
The School Nurse Fun Run’s motto is “Healthy Families Stay Active” and benefits the hospital’s School Nurse Program which has raised over $299,000 since 2013.
- Thursday, September 28 at West Elementary
The 2023 Holland Hospital School Nurse Fun Run is September 28 at 6pm at West Elementary. Today we talk to the organizer of this great family event!
Protect Young Eyes - The Digital Culture of Kids
During this Parent Presentation we will discuss:
- The benefits of creating digital trust.
- Leading your family in the digital age.
- Tech tools to support your digital goals.
Join us Thursday, September 21 at 6-8pm at the Holland Middle School. FREE pizza dinner provided for all parents who attend. (This event is intended for adults only!)
23-24 Community-based Student Supports
HPS partners with several local agencies to provide important support services for students and families.
TRAILS begins in January 2023
TRAILS will help students to see someone else's perspective, to foster compromise, to treat others kindly, and to have empathy and understanding.