At HPS we Embrace, Engage, and Empower each student for success in an ever-changing world.

Ready to Enroll?

We look forward to meeting your family and thank you for the opportunity to educate your child(ren). We know that you will be pleased with our experienced staff and high learning expectations.

An online enrollment kiosk is available at each HPS elementary school to help you connect & complete the enrollment form. You can also download a hard-copy of the enrollment forms (ENG|ESP) OR request a hard-copy of the forms from your school's office.


What you'll need:

  • Proof of address. (Please bring a current bill or lease agreement that shows your current address.)
  • Photo ID of parent or guardian enrolling the student.
  • Student's birth certificate
  • Immunization records
  • Complete name and address of previous school and phone number

A note for parents enrolling students for Kindergarten: Before beginning an academic year, a kindergarten student must turn 5-years-old by September 1. However, If your student turns 5 by December 1, you may be eligible to request a waiver. 

Families who would like to send their child(ren) to a different elementary school other than their neighborhood school may fill out an internal transfer request. Requests may not be made outside of this open enrollment internal transfer window. 

Requests will be honored based on space and availability in the school requested. Parents who transfer their students out of their neighborhood school are responsible for bringing their children to and from school.

Once approved, internal transfer students will be grandfathered into the requested school.

Internal Transfer Rules (English) | Internal transfer Rules (Spanish)
Internal Transfer Request (English) | Internal Transfer Request (Spanish)

For more information on enrolling in Holland Public Schools, please contact the Administration building at 616-494-2000 

Do you live in any of the following situations?

In a shelter

In a motel or campground due to lack of an alternative adequate accommodation

In a car, park, abandoned building, bus, or train station

Doubled up with people due to loss of housing or economic hardship

If so, you may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

McKinney-Vento At A Glance

According to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act:

"The Education of Homeless Children and Youth program is to ensure that all homeless children and youth have equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including preschool education, provided to other children and youth."

Who is a Homeless Student?

McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (Tital IX, Part A of ESSA) - states that:

The term "homeless children and youth" - 

    (A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence...; and

    (B) includes-

        (i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals;

        (ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings...

        (iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus train stations, or similar settings; and 

        (iv) migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).

What Rights Do Homeless Students Have?

receive a free, appropriate public education. 

enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment. 

enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents. 

enroll in the local school; or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference. 

If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision. 

receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this. 

receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.

Who Should I Contact If I Believe A Student Is Homeless?

Holland Public School District Homeless Liaison:
Mehan Marthen
(O) : 616.494.2016

Or contact:

State Coordinator:
Pamela K. Kies-Lowe
Homeless Education Consultant/State Coordinator
Michigan Department of Education
Office of Field Services, Special Populations Unit
608 W. Allegan St., P.O. Box 30008
Lansing, MI 48909
Ph:  517-373-6066
Fax:  517-335-2886  
For more information, please see the Michigan Department of Education website.

For more information on enrolling in Holland Public Schools, please contact the Administration building at 616-494-2000


Each year HPS asks parents to register their student(s) for the next school year. Updating the information in your Parent Portal account helps us: build class lists, determine transportation needs, and stay in touch with you!

Don't have a Parent Portal account? Not Sure? Click here to request an account.


At Holland Public, three neighborhood elementary schools welcome preK-5th grade students with experienced, caring teachers, 1:1 technology, a dedication to small class sizes and extended learning opportunities in music, art, PE and STEM. West Elementary | Jefferson Elementary | Holland Heights Elementary

Plus, the Holland Language Academy challenges TK-5th graders to explore core curriculum in a unique two-way, bilingual-immersion model.

Holland Middle School is a dedicated 6th-8th grade campus where a highly qualified staff, rich core curriculum, dual language and advanced opportunities, award-winning extra-curriculars, extensive STEM programming and a committed community of families ensure that every student has the opportunity to thrive.

Holland Public offers three high school options:

Whatever the student’s choice, Holland counselors, teachers and staff embrace, engage and empower them for success in an ever-changing world.

HPS Core Values


  • Success for All-Our students develop their innate abilities to be life, career, and college ready.
  • Educational Excellence-We provide state and nationally recognized academic programs and extra-curricular activities measured by high standards of performance and personalized support.
  • Innovation-We continuously improve through the study and implementation of best practices and programs with high expectations for achievement.  
  • Passion-We employ committed, talented, and passionate individuals who care for the students and families they serve.
  • Inclusion-It is our collective responsibility to foster respect, a sense of belonging, and success that honors each individual.
  • Equity-We ensure that our policies, practices, and programs serve our growing and evolving community.
  • Safety-We provide all students and staff powerful learning opportunities in safe, secure, and predictable environments.
  • Collaboration-We intentionally develop family and community partnerships to share the responsibility for the success of our students.
  • Proactive-We study and respond to the ever-changing needs of our community and intentionally invest the necessary resources to support our vision and mission.