6th Grade Orientation
Music Class Detailed Course Descriptions
6th grade ORCHESTRA:
Students who choose orchestra class will have the choice of learning to play VIOLIN, VIOLA, CELLO or STRING BASS. Learning starts from the very beginning basics of instrument care, to proper holding techniques, to reading music, to using a variety of skills to play and to performing 3 concerts throughout the year. Members perform in a designated uniform. Students do not need to have any experience playing a string instrument or piano. Those who do have experience will act as role models and helpers in the beginning weeks of class. Students will be prepared to go onto 7th and 8th grade orchestras to continue to advance their playing skills in a variety of new performance settings (individual, small and full group festivals, DeComposers Concert, playing at the G.R. Drive basketball game, etc…). At the high school level students can enjoy playing in Concert orchestra, Chamber orchestra, Symphony orchestra.
Please check out the video clip below for demonstration of instruments:
- String section of orchestra: (starting at 11:07)
6th grade BAND:
Students who choose band class will have the choice of learning to play flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, baritone, or percussion. Learning starts from the very beginning basics of instrument care, to proper holding techniques, to reading music, to using a variety of skills to play. We perform 2 concerts throughout the 6th grade year, with an optional recital. Members perform in red polos and black dress bottoms. Students will be prepared to go onto 7th and 8th grade bands as well as high school band to continue to advance their playing skills in a variety of new performance settings (Marching Band, Tulip Time, Football and Basketball Games, Jazz Band, and Percussion ensemble, as well as individual, small and full group festivals, etc…)
Please check out the video clips below for a demonstration of Holland Band Students:
6th grade CHOIR:
Students who join the Holland Middle School Choir will be given the opportunity to grow as a musician and as a team player! We have several goals as a 6th grade choir: understanding how to be a contributing member of a choir, how to perform for an audience, introduction skills to reading music, and sight-reading using solfege syllables (do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti do). Students do not have to have any experience with singing or to be “good” at singing - we will all learn how to be better vocalists together as a GROUP!
Students will NEVER be asked to sing alone. Being in a choir means being a part of a team!
- Each choir student will be required to buy a choir shirt from Miss Steinman ($8) and provide all black shoes and pants as their performance uniform
- We will have 2-3 concerts throughout the school year - performances are a required part of being in choir, band AND orchestra.
- Students will be prepared to continue into 7th and 8th Grade Choir, as well as our renowned High School Groups (Belle Canto, Select Men’s Ensemble, Concert Choir and Vocal Dimensions) where they will have new and exciting performance opportunities.
Check out the HMS CHOIR Instagram page for more insights into our class @ hms.choir
3 ways to get an instrument
There are 3 main ways to obtain an instrument for band or orchestra.
1. Renting an instrument from Meyer Music is the most popular method, and receives the highest recommendation from Holland music teachers. Features of the plan include:
- Receive a new or nearly new instrument and ALL supplies (including class book, music stand, instrument supplies, tuner)
- Monthly rental includes all repairs and replacement of the instrument
- Monthly rent ranges: $10-20 violin and viola, $27-35 cello, $45 string bass.
- $29 for flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, or percussion kit.
- $59 for baritone or saxophone.
2. Using a previously played instrument from family or friends.
- Will need to purchase supplies and class book
- Should be checked over by Meyer Music to ensure in working condition
- Repairs will not be free like they would be with a rental
3. Using a school loaner. This option is reserved for those who have explored #1 and #2,
- ...but cannot proceed with either option. The school will provide an instrument if it is the only source for obtaining an instrument.
- A one time, maintenance fee is asked for using a school instrument:
- Band instrument $60
- Orchestra instrument ($40 violin, $50 viola, $60 cello, $70 string bass).
Please see the links below for a quick overview of the Meyer Music rental plans
Upcoming Events at Holland Middle School
Holiday BreakDate: May 29Calendar: Holland Middle Calendar
HMS Carnival and Cook Out 10:45 AM to 11:45 AMHMS Carnival and Cook OutDate: Jun 2Time: 10:45 AM to 11:45 AMCalendar: Holland Middle Calendar
8th Grade Hollywood Dance 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM8th Grade Hollywood DanceDate: Jun 2Time: 7:00 PM to 9:00 PMCalendar: Holland Middle Calendar
Half DayDate: Jun 5Calendar: Holland Middle Calendar
Half Day - LAST DAYDate: Jun 6Calendar: Holland Middle Calendar
8th Grade Awards 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM8th Grade AwardsDate: Jun 6Time: 9:00 AM to 10:00 AMCalendar: Holland Middle Calendar