Holland Public Schools Enhances Music Education K-7
I wanted to let you know about some exciting new changes to our music program that will be implemented this school year. We have been working very hard with our music department to enhance and expand our music offerings to our students.
New for 5th grade:
Band, orchestra and choir will now be provided to students during the school day, one day per week. This is in place of the 5th grade general music class. This will allow any student who wants to participate in band or orchestra during the school day the chance to do so, instead of before or after school. This will happen at all of our five K-7 schools. During the first few days of school, students will be in class with the band, orchestra and choir teachers to discuss the choices that students will be able to make.
Please watch for information coming home from your music teachers that will share when parent meetings will take place to discuss participating in band or orchestra including instrument fittings, instrument rental, or purchases. Band, orchestra and choir will occur during the same time period at each school. Students may only be in one of these three options.
New for 6th/7th grade:
The District will be providing two full music programs on the East side and West side of the District as 6th/7th grade students participate in music education. Each program will offer 6/7th grade band, 6th/7th grade orchestra, 6/7th grade music appreciation (non-performance), 6/7th grade choir (performance-based) and a 6/7th grade ensemble (audition-performance based). These five classes will all be taught at the same time by our elementary and middle school music department.
During the first few days of school, students who signed up for choir last year will rotate through general choir classes until auditions and choices are made based upon student interest and needs. Please watch for additional information from your music teachers.
Holland Heights/East 6th/7th grade students
- Instruction will take place at East K-7. Holland Heights students will take a bus shuttle from Holland Heights to East K-7 in the morning. The shuttle will leave just prior to the school day at 7:45 a.m. Students will have band, orchestra, music appreciation, choir or ensemble during 1st hour. Holland Heights students will then take a bus shuttle back to Holland Heights for 2nd hour. We have adjusted start/end times of our school day hours to ensure that students instructional time in the core classes are met.
Holland Language Academy/Jefferson/West 6th/7th grade students
- Instruction will take place at West K-7. HLA and Jefferson students will take a shuttle from their schools to West K-7 during the school day following 6th hour. The students will have band, orchestra, music appreciation, choir or ensemble during the last hour of the day.
- Jefferson students will then take a bus shuttle back for dismissal from their home school.
- HLA students who ride the bus home will catch their bus from West.
- HLA students who walk home from HLA or need to meet up with younger siblings or parents will ride the shuttle bus back to HLA for dismissal.
- Students who participate in after school athletic programs at West will stay during those seasons or take a bus shuttle to East depending on the sport. We have adjusted start/end times of our school day hours to ensure that students instructional time in the core classes are met.
New K-7 Music Curriculum
The Board of Education has also approved the Quaver’s Marvelous World of Music Curriculum to be used this year. This program provides a highly engaging program that students will enjoy. It also uses a lot of technology that students will be able to do with their i-Pads or Chromebooks. If you would like to learn more about this program, please go to https://www.quavermusic.com/infocenter/
These changes to our music program will make sure that all students have more access to a high quality music education program in our district that begins in Kindergarten and extends all of the way through high school. Our music teachers have done a great job working with us to improve our music experiences for students and we are excited to see all that will happen as a result.
You can learn more about these changes by talking with your music teachers during open house next week!